Monday 4 February 2008

Here's what it's all about (revised list - now 27)

Do comment to say you have arrived and also to say in a couple of sentences what you think the speech should be about (or as my old boss what say 'what is it for?')...

THE ORIGINAL CALLUP

In July i am going to speak at an event hosted at JWT in London (along with Jeremy Bullmore, Jon Steel and others) celebrating 40 years of planning and looking ahead too.

I'm not sure I have anything new to say on the matter that I have been banging on about for some years. So... My idea is that instead of presenting my views I get 40 fellow planners from diverse backgrounds to help me put it together. I would open a blog and for the next 3 months we'd just talk about the brief (ie taking this as an opportunity just like any other for a piece of communication to have some sort of effect). We'd then write the presentation together, pick interesing visuals or creative ways to bring it to life, and finally write a speech which I would simply ead out on behalf of the team.

All of which depends on if this grabs 40 of you. I'm going to crosspost this on .ning plus the facebook planning groups and give it 1 week. If 40 people say they are interested then we have a project. (If not I'll have to think of something else!) Do say if you'd like to take part (first come first served) & add comments & ideas

THOSE UP FOR IT SO FAR
GEMMA
PAUL ISAACSON
ADAM CROWE
EMILY REED
OZIOMA
AMELIA TORODE
FARIS YAKOB
JASON OKE
SHWETA KHOSLA
DANIEL BERKAL
CHARLES FRITH
DINO DEMOPOULOS
KIRSTY ANGUS
THANIT CHIRASKAMIN
HUGH M WEBER
CLAUDIU FLOREA
GARETH KAY
ANTOINE MAUSUY
KARIM MELAOUAH
DARIA RADOTA RASMUSSEN
NEIL PERKIN
KIM PORTRATE
VERITY JOHNSTON
JANE HOVEY
JITENDER JABAS
JOHN LEACH
JANINE RAMLOCHAN

that's 27 which I think is plenty enough and I love that fact that it's so international but there is room for more too (and getting to 40 would be nice just for the symmetry, although it arguably doesnt mean anything; 40 people/40 years)

2 comments:

david Hawksworth said...

Hi John,

I would be up for contributing. Everyone likes the freedom of working on a project knowing that they don't have to deal with the pressure of actually boiling it all down to something that makes sense as a coherent stand up presentation!

Thoughts about what it should be about..?

I would suggest that you attempt to map out the next 40 years. That would be a wild excursion. I guess you may end up a little too embroiled on the stuff of green marketing and all that.

Otherwise maybe consider some totally lateral thinking... what else would they expect from a planner asked to speak about planning? How about the thought of imagining that over night advertising totally vanished. What would all the planners do with themselves, where would they find work or things to keep them interested. You never know, the next 40 years may just be a more gradual realization of this seemingly implausible idea.

Will said...

I'd be keen as well..